Bubby Bliss

Amazing Adventures of Reshen

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Slow Down!




Now I know why my mom always told me to "slow down" in the growing-up department. I don't think I would have totally understood it until I became a mother myself. It's such an interesting balance... one moment I am so excited about Reshen's accomplishments and amazed at the *person* he's becoming, and the next I'm getting teary-eyed and hugging him tight, my cheek against his soft baby hair, willing him to stay my little one forever. I know I will most likely feel this way the rest of our lives. Someday I'm going to be hugging a 40-year-old version of Reshen and wishing he was still my baby (even though he always will be) :-)

Childhood is quite an incredible journey, and I so enjoy being a part of Reshen's adventure. He's changed so much already and yet it feels like we've only recently left the station. He just soaks up *everything.* His day care provider has told me a couple of times that he is just *so* smart and understands everything. She said he's far beyond what he should be at his age. Of course, a mommy always loves to hear something like that :-)

His newest quirk is saying "Wha'sat Mama?" (What's that, Mama?) *all* the time. It reminds me of when he was 10 months and always asked "uh zat?" My guess is that he's going through another noun collecting phase, although he often asks about objects that he already knows the names of.

He also says "Look, Mama!" often. He's always pointing out objects around the house and outdoors, and showing me things that he's done. He lined up all the magnets on the fridge today and came running to me shouting "Look, Mama! Look, Mama!" He was so proud of what he did :-)

Other new phrases are "this one" and "that one." When we feed him bites of food from our plates, he is very particular and points to the exact piece of food he wants, declaring "This One!" And he can't be fooled.... don't try or you may experience the wrath of Bubby ;-)

He loves to push buttons. Any buttons will do, but the best ones are those that create a large effect... like the garage door remote button. Oh how he loves that one. Every morning and every evening he shouts "Push button!" as we go by the door and into the house. I always let him do it. He pushes it and then turns around expectantly to watch the door open or close. Of course he then has to announce "Garage door open!" (or close). It's really cute :-) Although not so much when it's our cell phones, the dvd player, our computers, etc..




As I mentioned before, my Reshen is now going to day care because I'm working full-time. He's doing great, but it feels like another step towards him becoming a "big boy." It's the first time in his life that he doesn't *need* me. He takes naps there on a mat, eats at the little kid table, sits with the "big" kids during pre-school, and does gymnastics on the Tumblebus on Thursdays. I love that he is confident and not too afraid of new situations and people- I think that is what made the transition relatively easy. We both had our moments, but overall it's been great for him. Of course, I would rather still have my days with him, but I know that he will be enriched from this experience as well.

Reshen is obsessed with Chancey (our cat). He chases him, searches for him (calling "Chancey, where are you?"), and gives him very enthusiastic pats. Chancey is not so hip on this, though, and Reshen has been scratched a couple of times. I thought that might teach him to leave the cat alone.... but no. We have to be vigilant about where the cat is and where Reshen is at all times. I wish Chance would hang out in harder-to-reach places, but he insists on hovering around our feet all the time. I hope they will have a better relationship once Reshen has more control over his actions ... until then we just encourage "soft" pats and only when mommy and daddy are around.

More later... it's getting late and I should be headed to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, honey, babies do grow up. Enjoy every moment of the adventure, as it is a very special one. The journey is different, and just as special, with each child. Reshen has been on his determined path since those dark, and very knowing, eyes opened for the first time. That little man has had things to do and places to go since the beginning. He has always been on a mission, hasn't he?! He has been a sponge soaking up the world around him since day one, never missing anything. You and his daddy have done a great job of making Reshen feel secure and safe so it is no surprise that he is confident and independent. No wonder he has made an easy transisition into daycare. Don't worry, babies do grow up, but no matter how old they are they are still "kids" and will still need you. Just in different ways, thats all :-)

Laura McIntyre said...

I have been feeling like this about both my girls alot these days, its such a hard but wonderful thing watching them grow. Reeshen seems such a wonderful child and he must make you guys proud everyday

Anonymous said...

Oh, Brooke, reading your thoughts always makes my heart big, but this one really made it swell with pride. You are so good at sharing your thoughts and emotions. It must be bittersweet to watch Reshen grow and know he's on that path of independance. And all this at not even two years old! Keep up the great work, both of you.
Love you much!

Lisanne said...

What a sweet entry! I love your writing, Brooke! Reshen is certainly a smart little guy. I know what you mean ... my parents used to tell me that they wanted to put a brick on my head to keep me from growing so fast. I always laughed, thinking that was silly. But now ... I *completely* understand.

Christina said...

Oh Brooke, what a sweet, tender, beautiful post! You have brouhgt tears to my eyes..you have captured the way I feel about my growing girl, and probably how all mothers feel to see thier babies slipping into childhood and then into adolescence and adulthood. Wodnerful words. Reshen is such a clever little man!