Bubby Bliss

Amazing Adventures of Reshen

Monday, March 12, 2007

15-Month Well Baby Check














We had our 15-month well-baby check last Thursday. Reshen is doing great. He weighed 23lbs 8oz and was 31.5 inches tall. That puts him in the 32nd percentile for weight and 57th percentile for height. He's actually jumped up in percentiles for height and is being pretty consistent with his weight gain.

The doctor was impressed with his development skills. She said he seemed like a 2-year old stuck in a 15 month-old's body :-) She also kept saying what a sweetheart he was. I already knew that though :-) She also checked his ears and they are all clear- yea!












One thing I talked with her about was
starting him on a multi-vitamin, since veggies are still touch and go. He used to eat everything, but lately has gotten so picky. I know it is normal for his age, so am hoping it is only a phase, but it is driving me crazy! The only veggies he will eat right now are potatoes, carrots (but only if they are baby carrots that are baked in the oven and seasoned AND they cannot be cut up), cauliflower if it is smother in cheese, and he actually had a few beets yesterday which was shocking. But right now he won't eat peas, green beans, corn, asparagus, or broccoli. I have tried them in all kinds of forms. He even separates them out of casseroles and omelets. Today I snuck some baby food vegetables into his spaghetti sauce and he didn't notice, so I will try that way more often. But still I am afraid he is not getting enough vitamins, so have started him on a toddler multi-vitamin just to be sure.

So what *does* he eat, you may ask. He LOVES dairy... milk, yogurt, and cheese are his favorite foods for sure. He will also eat pretty much any fruit- fresh or canned. Bananas are his favorite. He also likes apples, strawberries, mandarin oranges (canned), peaches, pears, kiwi, and pineapple. Those are what we have been eating lately, but I am sure he would love any other fruit too. He also likes carbs- bread, crackers, noodles. Protein can be hard to get in him sometimes, other than dairy. He will eat eggs and peanut butter, and humus, so that is good, but I am trying to get him to like chicken and beans too. It's amazing toddlers can still grow with their picky eating habits!


Another frustrating development in the past couple weeks has been his 30-minute napping streak. I think he's transitioning from two naps to one, but it's not going smoothly! He resists the morning nap, but then when he *does* go to sleep around noon he only sleeps for 30 minutes and then wakes up crying. I try to get him back to sleep, but it doesn't usually work. I then have to keep him up for the rest of the day (usually) because if he naps too late it messes up his bedtime. It's driving me CRAZY! He and I both need him to sleep more than 30 minutes during the day. I'm hoping it will work itself out. He did take a good 1.5 hour nap on Sunday, but today was back to a half-hour. Maybe in time he'll get it figured out.


He is still collecting those words. Here are some more he has added:


Cracker

Moon

Car

Bus

Tree (tee)

Blue (boo)

Purple (puh-puh)


He has started pretending to write. It is so cute. He scribbles and says very deliberately "Eh-s, Eh-s" Like he's saying that he's writing the letter "S." I think he picked this up from Luke and Lucy who I am teaching letters to. He also says "M" (Eh-M). I don't think he recognizes the unique letters, but knows that they have a connection to writing. Cool!

He also knows that colors have something to do with crayons. He heard the word "purple" on TV and said "Puh-puh!" and ran to the crayons. Of course I had to let him play with them then :-) He doesn't seem to know which one *is* purple, but knows that one of them is :-)

What a cool little guy he is becoming :-)

4 comments:

Christina said...

I love reading about what Reshen is doing these days! It's so much fun to compare and contrast between him and Nadia. In some ways they are amazingly similar, and in other ways they are so different. I'm glad he doing well, and hopefully the vegetables and short napping issues will resolve themselves soon. I *love* it that he "writes" and says his letter! Too clever. :o)

Oh, and adorable pictures of him climbing through the big box!

Grandma said...

What a smart little boy our grandson is! And showing his creative side, too! Who knows, he may be an artist or a famous writer someday, or both!? I wonder if he will require a large canvas like his mommy did when she was a little one. Such as a bedspread, carpet, curtains or maybe even a bedroom wall ;-) Your red spider on your yellow bedroom wall comes to mind. Oh, I should have taken your picture in front of it, with that red crayon in your hand! I can still close my eyes and see you standing there admiring you picture as I questioned you as to just what it was that you drew. You informed me that it was a "pider". It was as big as you were tall at the time ;-) Quite a masterpiece, as I recall :-)

H4 said...

I know this is an old post of yours, but what ever happened to those 30 minute naps? My daughter is 15 months old (just about) and has been doing 30 minute naps out of nowhere for a couple weeks.

I know every toddler is different, but what happened with your son (with the cool name)?

Brooke said...

I have to say, I don't quite remember what happened with the 30 minute naps, although he did transition to 1 nap shortly after that and his naps eventually lengthened again. I'm sorry to say I don't think it was anything I did to "fix" it. His sleeping has (and still does) seem to change with developmental leaps. Just grin and bear it and I'm sure it will work itself out :-)